Oct 3, 2016

Au Gratin Potatoes



I Love potatoes, I really do. When I was a young teenager I would come home and fry potatoes from scratch for my brothers sisters and me of course! There were five of us, I was the oldest and mama and I always cooked from scratch. This was something we kids loved for our after school snack.
Now I just love potatoes period. Wish I had mama's recipe for this but this is as close as I can come, so I'll share it with you now.





Ingredients

4 large Russet or Idaho Potatoes
1 medium to large onion
Butter
Salt & Pepper to season


Sauce
3 Tbs. butter
3 Tbs. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup Heavy cream




Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Butter a Medium baking dish with softened butter
Wash, peel and slice potatoes 1/8 - 1/4 inch thin and set aside
Peel onion and slice thinly 1/4 inch thin and1/8 - 1/2 inch set aside
Make the sauce
Melt butter over medium low heat in a large saucepan
Add flour stirring constantly to mix with butter and prevent lumping.
Heat for 1 minute stirring constantly it should be bubbly
Add slowly the milk whisking or stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Boil and stir 1 minute or until thickened.
Lower heat and add cheese stirring to melt.
Remove from heat.

Layer with half of the potatoes, top with half of the onions, season with pinch of salt and pepper,
Place the second layer of potatoes and onions seasoning with pinch of salt and pepper.
Pour all of the sauce over the top of this.
Cover with lid or foil

Bake covered for 1 hour check potatoes with fork to see how tender bake 15 minutes more,
Uncover and bake until top is browned lightly.

Remove from oven tent with foil

Serve while warm.  Serves 6-8
Baking Time approximately 1 - 11/2 hours



Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment


HOUSE AND GARDENS