Jan 27, 2017

Would You Like To See Our New Porch Floor?


You know it may sound funny but after choosing the blue for the ceiling the next hardest decision I had to make was the floor decking stain color.  That really surprised me and I don't know why.

Earl the painter brought me three excellent stain samples.  I spent an entire day trying to decide only that question.


I tried to find a color that would blend in with the color of the bricks in the steps, the new blue of the ceiling and flow from inside the foyer.  The foyer has oak hard wood flooring that has a color named Gunstock.

So I first tried to find a wood/brown toned stain that would make it seem as if the inside continued onto the outside.  It would have had a good flow that's for sure.  However I had a very nagging desire to have a porch gray like my grandmother and mother in law had on their porches. It just wouldn't leave the back of my mind.  The old traditional porch colors of gray.


These were very pretty examples of the browns.  The one on the left nearly made me decide to go with that color stain. The brown on the top right is gorgeous but a little dark for me. The one on the bottom right looks very similar to my flooring as it is. 

I went on to think about maybe a dark blue and Earl said lots of people now paint their porches black or dark green.  I know that would have been a more modern approach, but I kept thinking with the new blue ceiling I might feel claustrophobic.  Yes lately I've come to realize that I must have some of that because I don't like tight places or places that even feel tight or closed in.


I grouped the blue ceiling/gray floors that caught my attention.  These only sealed the love I had for the grays of a porch floor.  Even though I have decking I wanted that look somewhat.  The funny thing is that our porch flooring will have to be replaced in a few years anyway, so why was I stressing so over a color? I can't answer that one.

Look at the way these are so clean, open, light and airy. They seem so much more spacious than the darker colors.  I just love them!

I chose this color!
It appears to lie somewhere in between the darkest and lightest pictured.
SW 3027
Driftwood
Sherwin-Williams
Woodscapes Acrylic Solid Color Stain

The color sample above shows to be somewhat darker than the color actually is.  * Note* Keep that in mind online colors do not look like they actually look on true paint samples or the paint itself.

I knew when I chose this color that it was the right one. Not only was it the only gray on that particular chart but my mama Dot loved driftwood like nobody's business!  She was always after the guys in the family when out and about around water to bring her a piece home.  She would put those in her flower gardens.  Plus when she was with me she would sit on that porch daily she loved it. So my reasoning behind this color!



Look at the house.  The bottom shutters have been taken off, the house front (lower) has been scrubbed, the ceiling has been painted and isn't it beautiful up against the blue sky behind it? I can't wait to see the new porch after it is stained!



You know it needs to be cleaned and stained for sure.  It has been a few years since our Johnny cleaned and stained it.  

Wendell is on the left and Earl is on the right

Look at the top the color of the wood is really beautiful.  I haven't seen that in awhile because of the mold and mildew that covered it.  Wow, if I'd known it was still that pretty  a clear or light color stain would have been good enough. 

Well the gray is here I guess the solid stain  will help protect the wood a little better and may keep the porch in tact longer.  I hope so anyway.



The staining has begun.  I just watched as these men cut in the edges for rolling later.  They worked very hard that's for sure. The house was always surrounded by men on ladders or on the ground washing, scrubbing and painting.

Porch floor before staining all the way


After staining the floor.
I like this picture look in the window left side of the door.
The sky and clouds
So similar in color to the porch ceiling color!






Isn't it pretty?
Do you like the traditional southern combination?
I do and it is so peaceful!


So clean! I love it!


I added these in full sun so you could see how the ceiling blue and porch gray change colors in different lightening!
After staining


A picture showing the shutters, door ceiling and new gray floor


I think you can tell that I absolutely love my front porch!
We love our porch!
More updates to follow.









8 comments:

  1. Dolly, the gray really compliments your beautiful blue ceiling! We stained our deck with a solid gray stain a few years ago, and I've always been pleased with it. It does need freshening up this year, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane! I'm glad you said you were pleased with yours! I think I will be with mine too. Now I have to go back and look at some of your beautiful porch posts to see it!

      Delete
  2. LOVE it!!! So pretty and great color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dolly, I think it is actually quite lovely. I really like a grey porch, too, and like you, I feel 'closed in' with dark colors. That is why my rooms are mostly bright and light. Hope you are taking time to enjoy it now that it is done. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana, Thank you so much! Yeah you know what I mean don't you about the dark colors. Mine are too. I can't wait to enjoy it. It has just been painted so waiting for it to dry good and then on to using it! xo

      Delete
  4. I think your front porch is absolutely beautiful. It reminds me of an old timey porch like those of my Aunts. My Momas porch was gray too. And I've heard that if you paint your porch ceiling blue you won't have any problems with wasps making nests in the corners because they get confused and think your porch is the sky. Again, your porch is beautiful and I love your railing also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra,
      Thank you so much for the lovely compliments! I'm hoping that it will keep the enormous amounts of wasps that we have out here on the farmland! I'm smiling thinkng about your Aunts and Mom's porches. Glad you shared that with us. You've made my day! Dolly

      Delete


HOUSE AND GARDENS