Apr 23, 2017

Frittata Anyone?



Today we are having Frittata!  I have an endless supply of fabulous farm fresh eggs.  The rich taste and color can't be beat.  We really like quiche and if you ask me a frittata is nothing more than a quiche without the crust.

Frittata is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelette or crustless quiche, enriched with additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses, vegetables or pasta.  The word frittata is Italian and roughly translates to "fried".

The really good thing about a Frittata is that you can add most anything you have in your fridge.  I happen to have on this day lots of prepared veggies that need to be cooked.  I have some sausage links from a local sausage maker and let me tell you they are out of this world.  I couldn't let them sit and go bad could I?




I am sharing what I put into my frittata today but you can use whatever vegetables with or without meats, cheeses. It is your choice.  You do need eggs however.


You will need:

One non stick 10 inch oven proof frying pan
6 large eggs
2 cups chopped mixed sweet bell peppers
1 small onion chopped finely
1/2 lb good sausage links medium hot or sweet italian your choice
1 large tomato sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
Fresh bunch of Basil or dried if you don't have fresh
Big pinch of dried oregano
olive oil




Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Chop onions finely, slice tomato into 1/4" slices set aside.
Grate Parmesan and Cheddar cheeses set aside,
Slice sausage links into 2 1/2" pieces set aside.
Beat eggs into bowl add pinch salt whisk, add freshly ground pepper and 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, a few pieces of pulled basil and whisk.
Put 2 tablespoons olive oil into the frying pan, add the chopped onions saute for a few minutes when they begin to soften add the sliced tomatoes cooking slightly turning and quickly removing before the become too soft set aside.
Add sweet peppers saute for 2 minutes remove them set aside.
Add sausage links cook covered for 2-4 minutes turning when slightly browned.
Take from pan slice into 1/2" pieces place back into pan turn up heat cook for 1 minute remove and set aside.
Add half onions, peppers and sausage into pane evenly.
Pour eggs evenly over those take spatula and push point into pan in several places to make egg cover bottom of pan not much just to have area to flow through. top with other half of peppers/onions, sausage.
Top with tomatoes covering evenly on top of eggs.  Season with pulled fresh or dried basil and oregano.
Top with cheeses evenly.
Cook on medium low heat until browning starts and you can see..Do not touch eggs let it form-mold and brown on it's own. This may take a little longer than you think but watch to make sure it doesn't burn.
Place into oven and cook 15-25 minutes or until cooked to your liking.  I cooked mine 25 to add slight browning.




Tastes as good as it looks
I love the fluffy, tender texture
Baking really plumps the eggs up




We found some pretty good strawberries at McLeod Farms the other day!
You know how much I love them!
Mine won't bear until June.



Yes, I had to have some shortcake!



I wanted to share this adorable flower pot I found at Dollar General.
Planted inside is one of the beautiful Lavenders that I found on QVC.
I gave some of these to my girls on Easter.
I'll share more when they start blooming.
Have a nice week y'all!


4 comments:

  1. I have never had frittata but now I want to try it. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim,
      This one was especially delicious. You'd think the eggs cooked in this manner would be tough but they're not they are puffy tender and delicious. I kinda think these and quiches make me think of thick pizza...I know they aren't but they remind me of them.

      Delete
  2. Oh- that sounds delicious and that strawberry shortcake sounds wonderful. We don't usually get fresh strawberries here until early July. Nothing like a piece of fresh shortcake. I need to buy some more lavender this year. I forgot to bring mine inside before the frost got it. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Diana,
      I worked with strawberries for over 20 years and never had the time to eat them. I am now making it my mission to just eat, eat and eat more of them the season is so short lived! I haven't been able to grow lavender here so I'm hoping these little babies will survive and I can find a great location for the ones that I don't give away! I'm sorry the frost got yours....xo Dolly

      Delete


HOUSE AND GARDENS