Sep 5, 2016

Simple Oven Baked Hamburgers



Hamburgers where did that name come from?  I really don't know? There are several things found on the internet but no real true historical reason so I won't say.  All I know is that we love them here, although we don't have them often for some strange reason.  We all love a grilled hamburger, don't we?  There are times that we just don't or aren't able to grill them so a wonderful substitute way of cooking is simply baking them.  Join me today, Labor Day for cooking hamburgers.

The first and most important thing in my book is to buy the best ground beef available to you.  I have a butcher that has the absolute best Angus Beef.  Local groceries some at least have ground beef with not-so-pretty additives such as 'pink slime'.  I know you've heard of these less-than-desirable ingredients that some add to ground beef.  I want no part of it personally.

Tip #1 Buy the best ground beef
note *The most important tip for making a delicious hamburger no matter how you cook it but especially when cooking inside and in the oven.

Tip #2 Don't overwork your hamburger patties when making them up for this recipe.
note* my son-in-law makes the best hamburgers on the grill he works his up lots and they are delicious, but for this recipe the less you handle your ground beef the better the flavor.

Tip #3 Preheat the oven always

Tip #4 Don't overcook.  One of the most important things to be sure.
note* I have a tendency to overcook many things but this is one that I don't overcook.  If you do they will be ruined.

Tip #5 Serve immediately.  
They must be served immediately because if allowed to cool even for a few minutes they will not be delicious!


I added sea salt on this day because I was salting the asparagus, forgot and salted but hamburger is more moist and tender when adding nothing more than garlic powder while cooking in this manner.



Are you ready for the most simple recipe?
  
INGREDIENTS

Great quality ground beef
garlic powder
salt
black pepper
Worcestershire sauce
broiler pan

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

  • Make your patties, remember with not much handling even if they are ugly it won't matter.  The taste is what counts here.
  • Place on broiler pan
  • Sprinkle with garlic powder and shake a little Worcestershire Sauce on each patty.
  • Make an indention in the center of each patty with your pointer finger.  This will help prevent the burgers from raising up in the center and be your gauge as to the doneness of the burgers.
  • Here is the tricky part you must watch the burgers there may be no precise time because every burger is different and takes more or less time accordingly.  Watch the center of the burgers the liquids will come to the top and as the cook will turn from pink/red color to clear.  When clear remove from oven and serve.
  • Watch the indention for the juices that rise up and when they turn clear remove and serve immediately.  (I make huge burgers and it takes them generally around 15-20 minutes.
  • *note if you want to add cheese do so when the liquid is almost clear approximately 5 minutes before cooking through.  The oven is hot and will melt the cheese almost immediately.
  • Add salt and pepper now after cooking.
Remove from oven and serve immediately for a moist melt-in-your-mouth burger every time!

I also love a thin hamburger cooked in a preheated iron frying pan on top of the stove.  I miss that my stove can't have iron pans on top of it but I do remember a most delicious burger cooked in that way. 




For a most delicious homemade hamburger bun find the recipe here
I made these and let me tell you they are as good as they look!



3 comments:


HOUSE AND GARDENS